Tuesday 20 October 2009

Radio Evaluation

I’ve created jingles before, so knew how to produce them really easily and quickly. For the assignment I had to create three jingles: a news jingle, a show opening and a studio ident. I used ADOBE Sound booth, which I hadn’t used before. The program has a lot of ‘teething problems’ and tendency to freeze without warning. Firstly I choose music on www.youtube.com. That I thought was appropriate for a news jingle which I decided to create first. I decided on one which had consisted of beeps. I choose this because beeps are used on the BBC news and I thought it would do the same for my jingle.

To get the music from YouTube and downloaded into my documents I had go to a website called www.video2mp3.com which converts files from video to audio. Once downloaded it was just a case of importing it into ADOBE Sound booth by clicking Import from file, within ABOBE itself. Then I used the ‘Inbuilt microphone’ to record my voice directly onto the computer, and imported this as well into ADOBE sound booth. I then clicked the ‘multi-track’ tool which allowed me to view them both within a timeline. I then began to edit the tracks by clicking the edit tool which can be found on the corners of each piece of audio.

Within this menu you have complete control over the audio, by right clicking and dragging over the audio you can either delete sections of audio or access other editing tools. I mainly deleted sections of audio that included vocals because I wanted and knew from previous experience that jingles sound distort when rerecording over vocals with other vocal audio. The only other thing I did was fade in and out the audio at the beginning and the end to make the jingle seem more professional. Once I’d done that I exited the edit mode by clicking the back button. The changes where done and then it was simply a caser of clicking and dragging my vocal recording in place to where it I wanted it to be within the overall jingle.

After I had placed the vocal recording of my voice in place I saved my work as ‘Jinglemark1’. Then I clicked the ‘export’ tool which had a side option called save as audio mix down which I clicked I on and saved again but this time, I saved it as a MP3 file so it would work on other computers and could be burned to a disc. I used the same processes to create the other two jingles; the only differences were that I had different music and vocal records for each, and the durations where different. Longer duration for the show jingle because this has to advertise the radio show, the studio Ident was shorter because it only has to advertise the radio station.

I found the program was hard to use at first because I hadn’t used a MAC computer before and didn’t understand what I was doing until I was shown. What I found easy was that I had past experience at making jingles from last year and knew the basics of their creation. What went wrong was the program kept freezing and the fact I was ill at the time, didn’t make things any easier so I didn’t have a lot of time to produce the jingles. Next time I’d put more effect into the jingles because hope I feel better next time I’m asked to produce them.

No comments:

Post a Comment